Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Investing News Good or Bad

As I become more and more involved with the world of investing, I have noticed one thing that causes me to get a little annoyed. That one thing is how financial news is reported. In a world that has everyone connected and up-to-date with so much information; I have begun to wonder how much that impacts the stock market.

In my opinion, too much news has played upon the fears of many investors. This has turned an already risky game into an extremely volatile game. This is because to many investors simply react out of emotion instead of finding the facts out for themselves. I also think some of the professional investors on Wall Street play on the emotions of the small investors.

So I do pose the question as to whether the markets may become too volatile in the future as people are connected 24 hours a day through so many new technologies. Will this constant access to information make it better or worse for the average investor? In the old days before the internet and 24 hour news channels; I would think less irrational selling of stocks based on news and information would have occurred. Today anyone who invests in stocks online is slammed with news good and bad. Some may say that all this information is a good thing, and investors need to do their own research before putting money in or taking money out of the stock market. I do agree that every investor is responsible for their own actions. However, I think there is increasing number of new investors who will fall victim to their emotions based on too much information.

I realize financial news stories and the technologies that distribute them can not be stopped. However, I do feel that media outlets need to put greater care into what they publish. Comments that may make a stock price go up or down quickly that are not based on realities, or may be over-exaggerated could be playing on the emotions of many investors.

For more information please visit:

Author: Chad Surges

Degree: Bachelor of Science (Business)

Career: Logistics Executive

No comments: